Applying for a Grant
FALL 2019 GRANT CYCLE NOTIFICATION
Siebert Lutheran Foundation is improving its online grant process and Letter of Inquiry (LOI) applications will not be available until late Spring/early Summer 2019. The deadline to submit an LOI for the next cycle is still June 10, 2019, and Siebert will be sending out email notification when the new grant submission system and process are available. Sign-up for Siebert’s email list here. If you would like to review the questions and start preparing your LOI responses, please see below under "Grant Process" and under step three you will find a link to the LOI questions for each funding priority. Please contact us with any questions, 414.269.2832.
Applying for a Grant
- Review our funding priorities to determine if your program may qualify.
- Review Siebert Lutheran Foundation's policies, which are available here (PDF).
- Follow the steps for the type of grant you're applying for:
- Grant Process for Funding Priorities (steps are on this page, below Grant Cycles):
- Growing the Body of Christ by investing in Lutheran leaders, ministries and evangelism.
- Educating while Sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ by funding high-performing Lutheran-affiliated schools and other education programs that provide children and youth in socioeconomically disadvantaged communities a path to Christ-centered academic success, empowerment and hope for themselves and future generations.
- Serving as the Hands and Feet of Christ by supporting effective strategies at Lutheran churches and church-affiliated organizations to meet the basic short-term needs of disadvantaged people, and to create pathways toward greater self-sufficiency and empowerment for all people.
- Seminary Financial Aid for non-traditional paths to ordination.
- Pastoral Leadership Development continuing education for ordained pastors.
Siebert has two grant cycles per calendar year, which we call Spring and Fall based on when the grant decisions are made by our Board of Directors. We accept building-related, capital requests exceeding $50,000 only in the Fall cycle. Outlined below are the details of our process and the related deadlines. Please note that applicants are always encouraged to submit prior to the deadlines. Please feel free to contact the Siebert Lutheran Foundation office with any questions: (414) 269-2832.
||Grant Process Step
||Letter of Inquiry (LOI) Due
||Grant Application Due
||Siebert Board Decision Date
||Grant Payout Date***
*Capital, building-related applications over $50,000 are not accepted in the Spring cycle.
**All capital, building-related applications exceeding $50,000 must be submitted in the Fall cycle.
***Can vary based on payment schedule and grant conditions.
This grant process applies if you're submitting an application for a grant in one of Siebert Lutheran Foundation's three funding priorities. Please review what we fund before submitting an LOI.
- If you're a new grant applicant, please visit our Apply Now page and answer the questions. We will contact you within three to five business days to discuss your interest in applying and if applicable, provide you with information to create an account on Siebert's grant application website.
- Create an account or login to your existing account on our online grant application. Access this website through the Apply Now page.
- Organizations may only have one profile. If you're not sure if a profile exists for your organization, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 414.269.2832 before creating a new profile.
- View this five minute Applicant Tutorial video for guidance on using the online grant application site.
- If applicable, submit a Letter of Inquiry (LOI)
- Select the grant process that is applicable to your program/project and complete a Letter of Inquiry (LOI).
- Grant process options (more information about these funding priorities is available here or contact us / 414.269.2832 if you need guidance on which process to select):
- Growing the Body of Christ by investing in Lutheran leaders, ministries, and evangelism. Click to preview the LOI questions.
- Educating While Sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ by funding high-performing Lutheran-affiliated schools and other education programs that provide children and youth in socioeconomically disadvantaged communities a path to Christ-centered academic success, empowerment, and hope for themselves and future generations. Click to preview the LOI questions.
- Serving as the Hands and Feet of Christ by supporting effective strategies at Lutheran churches and church-affiliated organizations to meet the basic short-term needs of disadvantaged people, and to create pathways toward greater self-sufficiency and empowerment for all people. Click to preview the LOI questions.
- Siebert will review your LOI and respond in approximately three to five business days. You will be informed via email if your LOI is approved or denied with the necessary information for completing a full grant application if approved.
- Submit a Grant Application
- Preview the grant application questions (PDF) that are applicable to your program/project:
- Complete your application before deadline dates. If you anticipate not being able to meet a deadline, contact us as early as possible and we will advise.
- After submitting, you'll receive an email confirmation and Foundation staff will contact you with follow-up questions, to request a site visit or meeting if necessary, etc.
- Foundation staff will determine when and if the grant application is ready to present to the Board of Directors. An application submitted in a timely manner does not guarantee presentation to the Board of Directors at its next meeting or, in some instances, at all.
- Online Application Tips
- Bookmark the grant application login page or the Siebert Apply Now page.
- We suggest you develop your grant application in Word first, in order t outilize the built-in spell check fuction and to also count characters to comply with character/word count limits. After you have completed the application, you can cut and paste from Word into the online grant application fields. Utilize the grant application question PDFs listed above for the application process that is applicable to your program/project.
- Periodically scroll to the bottom of the screen and click "Save as Draft." If you do not, your information may be lost after a period of inactivity.
- Remember to click "Submit Form" when you are finished.
- Decision Making and Notification
- The Board of Directors make funding decisions based on the schedule in the table above.
- Foundation staff will advise in writing of the Board's decision regarding your application.
- If approved, you are required to sign and return the Foundation's Grant Agreement prior to distribution of funds.
- Outcomes Reporting
- After a grant request is approved and funds disbursed, the organization is required to report on progress toward expected results.
- A final outcomes report will be required at completion of the project. In some instances, interim reports during the lifetime of the project will also be required. This will be detailed in the terms of the Grant Agreement. These reports are completed in the grant applicaton website. Access it via the Apply Now page, clicking the "Login" button.
- An organization may only have one Siebert Lutheran Foundation grant working each year. However, in special circumstances, permission is given to submit a proposal for a new project or program. Follow-up reports must be submitted prior to applying for new funding.