Siebert Lutheran Foundation is an independent, private foundation established by the late Albert F. Siebert to advance the Lutheran church and its ministries. Pan-Lutheran in nature, the Foundation accepts funding requests from ministry programs associated with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod, and the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod.
People, families and communities filled with the peace that passes all understanding that comes from Christ.
The Siebert Lutheran Foundation stewards its resources and relationships and fosters partnerships to enable the Lutheran Christian community to be more effective, collaborative and innovative. Our funded partners share the Gospel of Jesus Christ, while educating children and youth in Christ-filled environments, and/or serving the needs of our neighbors. Our geographic focus is Wisconsin, especially Milwaukee, Waukesha, Racine and Kenosha counties.
Principles Underlying Our Work
These principles are foundational to our work, guide our funding decisions and, we believe, lead to effective outcomes in funded programs:
- We fund only Lutheran-affiliated ministries and programs to honor our founder’s legacy.
- We believe effective ministries require strong leaders, therefore, we invest in programs that grow and sustain leaders.
- We believe intentional focus is required to overcome the barriers faced by the “least of our brothers and sisters.”
- We believe business and financial models need to be sustainable.
- We encourage use of data, best practices, continuous improvement and/or innovation in program design and delivery.
- We encourage collaboration and partnering among funded ministries and programs.
Theory of Change
We believe the transformative love of Christ and connection to a body of Christian believers creates healthier individuals, families and communities who are empowered and whose hearts are filled with faith, mercy, and peace.
Print a one-sheet overview of Siebert Lutheran Foundation's strategic plan and funding priorities.
Albert F. Siebert was born October 18, 1879, in Dayton, Ohio, the son of a Lutheran pastor. After graduation from Wittenberg College, Mr. Siebert pursued a sales career with National Cash Register Company of Dayton. After nineteen years, he left NCR to accept a position as a sales manager of A. H. Petersen Manufacturing Company in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, to sell their newly engineered lightweight electrical hand drill. After a disastrous fire, the company was forced into bankruptcy and Mr. Siebert bought the remaining assets. Starting in 1924, he called it Milwaukee Electric Tool Company. The new company expanded its line of tools and thrived, but ran into financial problems during the depression of the 1930s. Always a religious man, Mr. Siebert vowed that if his company survived, he would designate a large part of it to the work of the Lord.
The company not only survived, but prospered far beyond Mr. Siebert's expectations. In 1952, he elected to give his entire interest in his company to God, using Siebert Lutheran Foundation to accomplish this gift. He died in 1960, but lived to see the beginning of the impact the Foundation has had on the Lutheran community.
In 1976, the Foundation sold its interest in Milwaukee Electric Tool Company to Amstar Corporation. Now operating as an independent foundation under a trust agreement, the Siebert Lutheran Foundation, Inc., is incorporated under the laws of the State of Wisconsin and is governed by a board of directors.